Wednesday, February 26, 2014

During "The Long Winter"

I like winter, I really do. I love snow and don't mind the cold for a few days/weeks....but once it hits February, I'm ready for temps to be in the 20's at least! So, this very VERY cold stretch in Minnesota is not fun at the moment! It's almost March for goodness sake!

Here are a few things we've done to make this incredibly long winter go fast:

LOTS of coloring! Aubrey especially loves to sit and color.

There have only been a few days that we've ventured outside sadly. It's just been SO cold but at least we've had a few good snow days!

Aubrey likes to bury herself in the snow :)

Tristen loves pulling his sister! It's fun to see him initiate play with her.

We've found some great places around town that offer indoor play! Tristen is pretending to buy groceries at the pretend grocery store in the Children's Museum.

I guess Aubrey only wanted to buy eggs :)
 

Baking cookies! I wish I could say we've done this more. I thought I would be the mom that wouldn't care if flour and sugar was all over the floor as long as my kids are having fun. Only a few days have I felt up to "creating a huge mess" all for the sake of baking a few good cookies :) Maybe when my kids are better at cleaning up, we'll make more cookies together!

A quick trip to the Zoo! We're only an hour from the Zoo and when you're cooped up for 5'ish months, that hour drive is well worth it!

Building Legos. Tristen is WAY into legos now! He loves to build and create structures (and play with the ones his dad makes!)

Aubrey gets in on the Lego action as well

We had a Color Week and I showed Tristen how to mix primary colors. This entertained him for almost an entire morning! Maybe I should pull out the food coloring and water again tomorrow!

Ahhhh, music. We LOVE music around these parts! Aaron currently gives a neighbor boy drum lessons and it always leads our kids into wanting to play with drums and take out their instruments! It brings out the fun (and craziness!) when we can't go outside!

My personal favorite :) Tristen sees Aaron and I reading our Bibles as we eat in the morning so he has asked to "read" his Bible while he eats his breakfast as well. Warms our hearts :)

The mall playplace and carousel. I know it's a germfest but sometimes, you just have to get out and let your kids run around! So far we haven't gotten sick (Cross our fingers we will stay well!)
 
We've had some fun moments......but I absolutely cannot WAIT for walks to the park and feeling the sunshine hitting my face!! Come on, Spring!!!

2 comments:

mw said...

I really enjoyed the pictures here.....some I've not seen! And the background design is so beautiful! I'm glad you take the time to do this!
Love, M

{LKK} said...

I think you are a WONDERFUl mom! I want to be more creative like you! :-D God has given you wonderful gifts and I love seeing you use them! (I'm thinking specifically of your fun activities at home) :-D