Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lose It!

Remember WAY back in April'ish when I talked of us eating healthier/exercising more, etc.? Well, it's paying off but not without the help of a great website called Lose It. Maybe you've heard of this site but I never had. It not only keeps count of your calories but it's also a place where you can log your exercise, keeping you way accountable.

Some things it has taught me:
1) Looking at labels on containers isn't a silly thing to do. You can find out quickly how you've gained weight just by looking at the calories and saturated fat that each item contains. I'm definitely that person that picks up everything now and looks at the label!

2) Aerobic exercise is really key. I tend to focus more on strength training and while that's important as well, aerobic exercise is what really slims us down!

3) Because you have to document everything (if using Lose It correctly :) , it makes you think before you put something into your mouth and helps not to overindulge. Well, unless you don't document it which defeats the purpose :)

4) Small pleasures (like chocolate!) are okay......in moderation. I need a small sugar fix a day and when documenting, I truly make it a "small" sugar fix. Oh, and angel food cake is my best friend...I think it's only like 70 calories or something for a whole slice? Perfect.

5) While Lose It and other calorie counting sites can be a great tool, they can also become an obsession. We're learning the balance and I know I've swung to both ends of the pendulum through this experience (just coming off of 2-3 weeks without documenting a thing :)

6) Picking out healthy food is becoming more natural....although I still have a long way to go!

7) It's better to take losing weight in stride and not stress too much about it. Just a few changes here and there make a difference without having unnecessary stress!

So, there you have it. Our "progress" in losing weight and living healthier. But, don't take my word for it....try it for yourself!

*Note of caution: I've had a few concerns here and there when I tell people that I try to count calories even though I'm still nursing. While LoseIt gives me a certain amount of calories that I should intake, I found out the recommended amount that a nursing mother should consume and I use the two as a rough estimate. So, I'm very very careful to make sure I'm still getting enough (1400 calories in a day just isn't going to cut it for the two of us!) but it helps me not OVEREAT either :)

3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

This is a great post, although I am surprised you want to loose weight because you look stunning.

However, eating well is a great idea! I should start doing that...

I am proud of your hard work and progress, although you still look stunning :)

You are awesome and I wish we lived closer so we could hang out.

*most random comment ever*

Erika said...

After having Tristen, I craved chocolate like EVERY night (and lots of it!)....it finally caught up to me after 3 months so now I'm working to get that off but so far, so good! Yay!!

Thanks for the sweet remarks, Rachel....you're a gem :)

Michelle said...

I hear ya! Ethan and I have apps on our phones that we input what we ate throughout the day and it adds up the calories for us! Definitely makes me think twice about what I'm eating all the time! Although I kind of fell off the bandwagon during this drive back to Iowa...it's hard to count calories when you're traveling and don't have as many food options!