Wednesday, June 20, 2012

You can come.....or you can wait

Having a second child is SO much different than having a first. With a first, you spend so much time waiting......I remember feeling like I was "waiting" for Tristen to get here when I was 36 weeks pregnant. "Anyday" was everyday and the closer to my due date it got, the more I wondered if he would EVER come :) There are so many unknowns for a first time parent, so many ideas of how to be the perfect parent, and so many dreams of doing things perfectly.

And then, you meet your child and your world is turned upside down in a way that you never thought possible. You love that child MORE than you ever envisioned you could and suddenly your priorities change. Sleep is not as important as holding and looking at your child, eating is not as important as feeding your child. You realize there is no such thing as "perfect" when it comes to parenting.

I'm ready to meet our second child, to look at her for the first time and open my heart up to her. I'm ready to give up my nice little schedule to take care of her needs and get to know her as only a mother does. I'm ready to announce her arrival to the world and finally tell people her name :) I'm just plain ready to welcome another child into this world.

But, as a second time parent, I know what it requires. I did not enjoy my time in the hospital last time. I wanted out of the hospital the second Tristen was born. My recovery was tough and I had to ask for help quite a bit....I like doing things myself so it was a humbling experience. The first two weeks were tiring....sweet and wonderful....but oh so tiring!

So, that is why I've been saying,

She can come now or she can wait.....

I'm okay with either :) I know she'll come in her own time and in the meantime, I've been soaking up precious time with Tristen. He's been such a joy lately as he initiates play with Aaron and I and giggles over almost anything :) As I'm nearing 39 weeks, it doesn't feel like I've been waiting much at all. So, Baby Girl, come when you would like....and in the meantime, I'm going to live in the present....feeling your kicks and wiggles and just dreaming about meeting you for the first time :)

No comments: