Friday, April 3, 2009

Not Proud to be an Iowan

I have lived in Iowa pretty much my whole life. I've endured the endless Iowa jokes, the questions "What do you do for fun in Iowa?" and the question "You're moving back to Iowa? Why?" Haha...I have loved this state and find the people incredibly warm and inviting. Most Iowans I know would drop everything to help a total stranger out of a bind.

Well, today I am NOT proud to be an Iowan. As most of you know, today Iowa lifted the ban on same-sex marriages. What are they thinking?? As Iowa Rep. Steve King said, Iowa will now be a "Gay Marriage Mecca"....and I don't have a good attitude about that. I could go on and on about WHY I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and how it CLEARLY says in the Bible that God instituted the marriage covenant to be between a man and a woman but I believe most of my readers agree with me so I won't go into my sermon. Not today at least :)

So, instead, the question is this..."What can I do?" "How can I, as a little voice in my state, fight against this issue?" "How can I present this to a few of our unchurched youth group kids who believe that homosexuality is okay and believe that we need to be tolerant?" I explain and explain and explain it but why would they listen now when the entire state of Iowa supports gay marriage? I don't know. But, if any of you have any revelations to my questions, I would love to hear your advice!

No comments: