Thursday, November 6, 2008

Opportunities

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5-6

Tonight this verse laid heavily on my heart. Funny that it takes "awkward" situations to help us remember what God's purpose for us is, but I'm grateful for them. Today I was asked to drive a total stranger 30 minutes away to a meeting. I knew the girl had very different ideas than me and had a completely different lifestyle. To say the least, I was reluctant and not willing. About an hour before I was supposed to leave, the Holy Spirit reminded me of this verse. Still reluctant, I decided to try to have a good attitude about it. However, there's nothing more awkward than driving a long distance with someone you have never met :)

I was blown away as I usually am by God's ideal plan for this meeting. Why am I reluctant when I know that God always has reasons for things :) We had SO much in common, except spiritual-wise, and really had a great talk about marriage, how we got to where we are today, and her future goals in life. And, I talked about my church and Aaron's job as a youth pastor. Perhaps a small seed was sown.....I can only hope and pray.

Speaking of awkward and uncomfortable situations, I'm up for another one tomorrow as I have an in-service. *Sigh* I think I need to meditate on this verse tonight and again give up MY will. I'm pretty reluctant...why can't I learn? :)

No comments: