Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

*Disclaimer* These posts are not intended to make anyone feel sorry for us rather share with you the blessings AND the struggles we've been going through lately

I woke up this morning feeling so refreshed, so full of life. We found a phone for Aaron, I was going to look for a full time job and perhaps make some money for us, and I had a wonderful quiet time with God.

1:30 rolled around and I needed to make a quick stop at the post office. I got my keys, decided to take a scarf and gloves to be fashionable (since I thought it looked warm today and I wouldn't need it) and started up my car. A strange burning smell emerged from my car but I simply ignored it as I backed out. I made a mental note to tell my husband when he got home and started toward my destination.

10 minutes later, I reached the post office, mailed off letters and started my car again. I drove no more than 500 feet when all of a sudden smoke was steaming out of my engine. You have GOT to be kidding I thought to myself. Just keep driving...it will go away.

My car has done some interesting things in the past but smoke has never emerged from my engine. I used to think it would be fun to be like my uncles who had stories of smoke and fire coming from their engines as they drove down the highway. Soon, my whole car was filling with black smoke and I decided that this was not normal! I turned onto an exit and halfway up the exit, my car stopped and I hurriedly opened up the door so I could breathe. Having your engine smoke isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

I reached for my cell phone. One of the few days I forgot it at home HAD to be today. I had a decision to make. Wait until 7:00 when my husband got home from work in a smoke filled car OR, walk 5 miles to get back home.

I grabbed my bright green scarf and lime green purse and started the walk. Along the way, I tried to find the good in the situation. At least I got my exercise in for the week. At least it's daytime and I know my way home. I'm sure I gave someone a laugh in my bright green scarf walking 5 miles in the middle of January.

An hour later, I finally walked in the door and tried calling anyone who could help. Aaron's at work until 7 and can't pick up. My parents are at work. My in-laws are in California. My brother's working. I don't know anyone else in Mankato.

So, here I sit. No happy ending and in the middle of a story that is yet to unfold. Funny how just this morning I was thinking I wonder what kind of car I would like when my car dies? It was a fleeting thought as I thanked the Lord that my car was still running and hoping it would last at least another year.

So, another thing has bit the dust. My trusty car, James (named after my license plate 007 MOO), who was with me throughout college, camp, Minneapolis, and Cherokee. You've been good to me. I don't think there's any fixing you this time.....Goodbye.

No comments: