Monday, January 11, 2010

Finding your Passion

I finally watched the movie "Julie and Julia" tonight. While I wish I could say that it inspired me to become a better cook, it didn't.....but I did get something else out of it :) The thing I got out of it was when Julia Child was trying to figure out what she wanted to do...what her passion was. It reached to my very core because it's where I'm at right now.

While I love children and have a desire to see them grow, I'm not an aspiring young teacher. My goal in life is not to become Teacher of the Year and I would much rather teach at a small Christian school than work my way up the ladder in a large school district. Teaching is not my passion, however I do love kids.

This realization has caused quite the stir in my heart as I feel like I'm just going through the motions of life...trying to figure out what my passions are. Sure, music, theater, creating things (sewing, scrapbooking), and sports are hobbies but are they my passions? And can a passion always be what your career is?

I also desire to live in Africa someday and work in an orphanage. But is that a passion or just a far out dream that I've had all my life?

Is anyone else going through a "Mid-twenties" crisis? I don't want to miss opportunities but at the same time I want to be content in the here and the now and focus on what God has for me today. Perhaps it's the thought that I would do something great in my life by now and I haven't which has caused a feeling of defeat. Whatever it is, I would love to hear that I'm not alone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You aren't alone, Eureka!! One thing that a lot of the women here at Central have been challenging me with is that there are different seasons of life. I am working at "choosing gratitude" (Nancy Leigh DeMoss) in whatever season of life that I am in, and looking for how God wants me to grow. I suppose moments like these just really make us look forward to eternity!!
Love you, girl!
Crystal

Erika said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Crystal! Maybe I'm experiencing "growing pains" during this season of growth and stretching in my life :)

Michelle said...

You're definitely not alone, Erika! Even though Keagan wasn't planned, before we had him I was at such a loss of what to do with my life. I knew I needed to work because Ethan and I had just gotten married and needed the income and I knew I loved kids, so I took a teaching job. The week before we found out we were pregnant, I was crying because I was so unhappy. All I've ever wanted in life is to be a stay at home mom. We weren't prepared for having a baby when Keagan came along, but God knew the desires of my heart and provided in HIS timing. Hang in there, God knows what your desires are and He will provide for you! :)

jenny said...

I feel that way a LOT!! Even though I love being a mother, I still feel like I don't exactly know what I'm doing... Trav and I just had this talk the other day. :-) I'm certain, though, that God is leading us a long....

{LKK} said...

*sigh*. First things first, Matt & I are watching that TONIGHT!

On your thoughts, I'm feeling the SAME way. I'm trying to figure out which things God is asking me to major on, and which ones to minor on.

I would love to all of a sudden become a great writer before kids come (and then maintain the writing while being home with kids), but what about ministry as a Nav wife? Photography? What's me self-seeking, what's God's nudgings, what's the world telling me I need to produce, what's a skill I've been given to use in the home or out of the home....all that jazz. Where Matt feels lead to affects all this, too. OH, heaven, take me now. (i'm kidding--I'd like to wait if He'd so desire!)

SO, needless to say, I'm in there with the pros in struggling through this stage...and finding contentment at the same time. Argh.

Well, when I feel oober frustrated with this, I know who to pray for. :-D

For now, chocolate and Julie & Julia. Praise the Lord.

(love ya!)