Wednesday, September 28, 2011

9 Months

I know, I know....Tristen turned 9 months last Thursday not today. But, here are my excuses for not documenting it on the blog on Thursday:

1) I didn't have an updated 9 month picture....I'm still waiting to capture "the one" (you know, the picture that will be "THE 9 month picture" that we hang up) but at least I have a few cute ones from our "photo session" today.

2) I didn't have the best doctor's appointment on Thursday and didn't really want to talk about it. Tristen is underweight and needs to gain weight before a follow up appointment in 3 weeks. My first thought was that I was absolutely failing as a mother, it was all my fault that he hadn't gained like he should, etc. Then I thought about all the possible things that could be wrong as to why he hasn't gained. Finally I caught hold of my emotions and realized that I needed to take it to the Lord. I am now trying to calmly tackle the problem and get his weight up. Taking the doctor's advice, we're supplementing with everything from formula to butter and olive oil. And, I'm pretty sure he's put on some weight already because he's finally out of 6 month clothing...Yay! I thought he would never grow out of those clothes but he's finally into 9-12 month things :) We're just praying that it will be an easy fix and the supplements will do the trick.

BUT, all that to say....Tristen is 9 months old and such a joy. He loves to use furniture to walk and is becoming quite the little monkey. Aaron and I just love spending time with him....seriously, we can't imagine life without him now. :) So, Happy 9 months, Tristen! We love you!!

7 comments:

Sarah Helfinstine said...

He's adorable, Erika! Love those big eyes.
Doctor's appointments can get interesting, can't they...Abby's on the very underweight side (0.9 %ile), and so far it hasn't been an issue with the doctor since she's still growing and following the growth curve (underneath it, but growing at the same rate), but it still makes me feel like maybe there's something I should have been doing differently. Praying that the supplements work easily for you guys and your follow up appointment goes well!

Erika said...

Thanks Sarah! It is encouraging to know that Tristen's not alone. Unfortunately he hadn't gained much since his last appointment so the decrease in growing is the concern...he's usually in the 40-50th percentile so the doctor and I were just a bit shocked to say the least!! Thanks for the prayers!! I so appreciate them :)

Ames said...

Sofie just had her four month appointment yesterday and has fallen from 50% to 25% so we're supposed to up her feedings - she REFUSES formula and I am having a terrible time - we had no issues with Bekah and with Sofie I had trouble just getting nursing to work - and now it's not enough!!?? I'm feeling really frustrated and overwhelmed - so I definitely feel your pain!!

Travis #2 said...

So sorry you've been stressing over it. :-( No fun. I kinda hate when the dr's do the whole weight thing. Sometimes it's legitimate and sometimes, the kids just grow slower and then have growth spurts!! Summer's always been small... but is still healthy. Tristen looks like an adorably healthy HAPPY baby boy... You are blessed!

Rachel Farley said...

He is adorable! I love his big eyes and darling smile. What a sweetie!

Doctors are silly sometimes. However, I think that you should start eating more donuts and give them to your child. You could always add in lots of spaghetti, some drive thru lunches and drink lots of coke. That is my advice :)

Do not feel defeated or discouraged. You are raising your child under the arms of the Lord, and that is what is important. This %ile stuff can be crazy.

Love you friend!

Erika said...

Amy, I'm so sorry that you're going through something similar....ugh, I understand a little bit of what you're going through and it's so not fun. Hope Sofie starts to gain as well and that things get easier for you!!!

Jenny and Rachel, thanks for the encouragement :) I especially like the donuts idea...does butter on Cheerios count? :) It's sort of like donuts!! I just might have to go buy a box of donuts....it's been much too long :)

Michelle said...

Oh Erika, you are a wonderful mother and you are doing a fantastic job. Especially having met Tristen now, I think he looks perfectly normal for a 9 month old! :) Don't ever doubt for a minute that you aren't the BEST mother for Tristen. You're fantastic! Praying for you guys and that Tristen will 'pack on the pounds' so the doctor stops making you worried! :)