Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Spontaneous Weekend

I'm a bit tired today but for a very good reason. This weekend ended up being a spontaneous, crazy, fun-filled weekend!

Aaron and I are "trip leaders" for our church youth group which means that if they are short on staff and they need someone for a trip, we can volunteer our time. Well, Friday night they needed a female volunteer for an overnight lock-in and I jumped on that opportunity! I absolutely LOVED it.....wow, I miss youth. It made me realize that maybe elementary aged kids have not been my passion all along but my passion lies in relating to high school students. And, being away from youth ministries for 2 years has helped me refocus and see things from different points of view. My prayer now is that more opportunities would arise because I really really loved Friday night! I could talk more about this realization but this post may get too long then and this is all about our spontaneous weekend!

Since the youth needed sleep for a conference the next day, there was a lights out rule so I got a few hours of sleep before returning home just as Tristen was waking up. Within a half hour, Aaron and I were up and getting ready for a very spontaneous, last minute trip to Fargo to celebrate our niece's first birthday on Saturday!!! Packing our things as well as packing up Tristen and Sadie were quite the adventure but by 8:30, we were in the car, headed to North Dakota. I was just SLIGHTLY exhausted but we were determined to make it there before the party! We quickly stopped by a cousin's house to see her sweet foster boy that she's taking care of (he's adorable!) and then got to Matt and Lindsay's house just in time for the party!
Pin the hat on the owl!

Tristen and Evie talking away :)


First taste of cake!!
Happy Birthday, Evelyn!!
After spending the night in Fargo (and staying up late to catch up with family), we woke up early Sunday morning to make it to St. Paul for my brother and sister-in-law's baby shower! Even though I was SO tired by this time, it was so worth it and was a blast!!Oh so fun! I love spontaneous things....especially last minute, random road trips for special events :) For all those who told me that all spontaneity leaves after you have a baby, I'm proving you wrong! :) You CAN still have adventures and be spontaneous with a baby....you just have to be flexible....and maybe having a baby that likes to travel helps things a tad bit :) But, I must admit that I crashed yesterday and am looking forward to my no-plans weekend this next weekend. Of course, that's how this last weekend started out....so maybe something spontaneous will happen again!! :)

3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I LOVE this post!

Your weekend sounds amazing! I am really craving time with high schoolers, but I have none to be with :) So, I will be filled through you right now.

The birthday party for your niece (adore the name) was precious! That owl. Love it. Want it. Oh, and don't get me started on birthday hats.

Cute baby shower too!

Get some rest girl!

Hugs!!!

Michelle said...

Wow, you really did have quite the weekend! So good to see you again though! :)

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

SO FUN! And adorable parties, good one mama!