Monday, August 4, 2008

Being Resourceful

Lately, I've been trying to be more resourceful. We go through our finances every month, documenting everything to a penny...which is a GREAT idea because it shows us where we need to cut back...but after last month, I decided that I need to be more resourceful in a few areas!! So, here are a few things I've tried....

*Last week, I didn't go grocery shopping until we had eaten almost all of our food. Usually, if we got sick of something, I would just go to the grocery store, but it really stretched us to eat what we had and especially not to snack. I'm sure it saved us a little money!

*Yesterday, I attempted what I thought was perhaps the impossible :) I highlighted my own hair! Maybe all the rest of you are experts at this, but wow, it was hard but so great as I was thinking of all the money I was saving! I had to have a little bit of help from my husband (I bet he would LOVE that I'm telling that part! My husband, the beautician!), but the majority of it I did myself. Plus, I didn't fry my hair as I used to do when I had other people do it at college (I've learned 30 minutes is WAY too long to keep the dye on your hair. 10 minutes is perfect! Ha!)

*I'm in the middle of a redecorating/remodeling project in both my bathroom and kitchen. As easy as it would be to just go and buy everything new (except the whole money part!), I've been trying to truly use what I have already and find new ways to use it creatively. It has been sooo fun!

Well, today's project is to decorate/paint the youth room at church. My husband and I have thought of some great ideas so I'm excited to start on it! Last week I said how bored I was, but this week is anything but boring. I have been AMAZED at how God has blessed me this week! He has brought some great potential friendships into my life all within a week's time and I'm excited to get to know some ladies from our church better. God's timing is perfect and I praise Him that He is in control of my life! Well, off to painting :)

1 comment:

Amber said...

It's amazing how much more fun it is to decorate or shop or whatever when you know you are being frugal with every penny. I seem to enjoy my purchases or my food or whatever it is when I know I've used every resource. Good for you guys! I'm proud of you for being thrifty and having good stewardship! :)