Saturday, December 6, 2008

First Impressions

Have you ever remembered what your first impression of someone was?? When I was in college, my RA staff played a game called "First Impressions". We went around, telling each other what our first impressions of each other were. Some us liked each other at first and some of us despised each other :) It was absolutely hilarious to hear what the impressions were! My first impression of Aaron was a very good looking man who was very taken :) haha :) Now he's taken by me :) ANYWAYS,

I had a first impression of someone last night at a 5th Quarter event at the local high school. This high school girl was beautiful and was one of the more popular girls. I was a "leader" so it was my job to socialize and make sure everyone was having a good time. Not hard when I feel comfortable around the kids I'm supposed to talk to. But, my first impression of this girl was "What do I have to offer to her? She probably doesn't want to talk to an adult!" But, slowly, I bit my tongue and said, "Hi! What's your name?" We were the only ones not playing a game, so there was quite a bit of time to kill. I tried to think of all the normal questions I usually ask high schoolers when I first meet them when all of a sudden, my "first impression" of this girl changed. She was so incredibly deep, intelligent, and transparent. We started talking about our faiths, Europe, concentration camps (which I've found is a HUGE thing to talk about with high schoolers! They like hearing that I've visited a concentration camp! Go figure), hopes, dreams, and the future. I am so glad I didn't let my "first impression" get in the way of getting to know this girl. So, the lesson I learned last night and I'm passing along...

Never go by your first impressions of someone!!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

So true. I for one know that I give a terrible first impression and am also too quick to judge when I meet someone. But I remember taking turns sharing our first impressions. That was too funny!