Monday, December 29, 2008

Just Us Christmas

Christmas: a time to celebrate Jesus' birth, reflect on his love for us, give to others, and.......mesh together traditions??? For those of you who are married, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You grow up with certain traditions and just assume that the person who you marry will have the exact same traditions :) haha! Yeah right :) However, what we have both loved doing is making up our own traditions. Some are traditions of our families, others are our own. This Christmas was heavenly to say the least. It was just one of those times that I will not forget easily. A new tradition we made: Monkey Bread on Christmas Eve morning :)

After eating Monkey Bread, we enjoyed time together taking pics by the tree, playing Yahtzee, and watching Elf.


Haha...we definitely have alot of fun together :)

Even though it was fun just to relax and hang out, the highlight of my day was our church's annual Christmas in the Barn reenactment of Jesus' birth. It hit me perhaps like it has never hit me before as I sat in a freezing cold barn, watching as Mary and Joseph sat with the baby Jesus. As we sang Silent Night, I had one of the most special times reflecting on Christ. Silent Night, Holy Night, All is calm... It was an incredibly holy and amazing experience that I wish I could put into words, however no words would be able to describe it to the depth it was.

After our incredibly special afternoon, we went home and had a tradition ham and corn (hey, we live in the Midwest! We have to have corn!), bread and cheesecake supper. We then expressed our love by giving gifts to each other. Materialistic-wise, my husband did amazing with the gifts he gave me...however, what I appreciated more was his thoughtfulness :) And, what was even better than giving and receiving gifts was the tradition that both of our families do...reading Luke 2 and talking about what God has done in our lives. I always love that part because it helps us keep the focus on the reason for Christmas :)

We finished up the night with watching White Christmas....makes me cry every time :) Even though it's a week late...We hope you all had a very Merry Christmas~we sure did :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

I loved reading about your new traditions! We watched White Christmas also! Ben fell asleep and I laughed at every corny joke. Can't wait to see you in a few days...weather permitting! Pray for good weather! :)

Cassie said...

I know exactly what you mean! This was my first Christmas experiencing someone else's traditions! What a weird thing! I'm so glad you had a great Christmas. You guys are adorable.

Jessica said...

Hi! I don't know if you remember me or not, this is Jessica (Johnson) I found your blog on Sheri's! I was actually wondering how you made monkey bread...I have been wanting to try it and I don't remember how to make it! :)

{LKK} said...

OH how wonderful to 'mesh' and 'create' your own Christmas.
Hehe, Matt and I watched that wonderful movie as well. *sigh*

It was so good to see you, sis! I hope to see you sooner than later.
Love you!