Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gas Prices

I know everyone is suffering from these awful gas prices and extremely high food bills. Today I filled on gas AND bought groceries and I have to admit I was more than a little depressed! How can a middle class family get by these days? I have been reading a ton of ways to save money in the grocery store and I tried to use the advice today....no buying fresh fruit (which is so sad!), no pre-packaged fruit, buy store brand products, cut out unnecessary items, buy a lot of freezer things and canned goods. It helped, but still my bill was crazy high. Not to be depressing, but I looked up the differences between what gas prices were when I graduated from high school - only 6 years ago and what they are now. It was ASTONISHING!

Just in case you can't see it, it says the average was $1.31 a gallon!! Now, it's $3.82 a gallon and I'm betting that it will be $4 in less than 2 weeks. I guess that means less traveling, and using our stick shift as much as possible. Actually, as we look back, buying our Mazda Miata was SUCH a God thing...it has certainly saved us money with the rising gas prices. I hope you are finding ways to cut costs as well...if you have any more good ideas, this middle class married woman would love to know how to save more money!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It's VERY frustrating! I wanted to take a road trip to San Diego this summer before the baby is born since it's only a 6 hour drive...but it doesn't look like that will be happening! I've also found that shopping at stores such as Target for groceries seems to make our grocery bill cheaper than when I shop at an actual grocery store. Strange, but true for us!

Amber said...

We drove to Kara and Paul's house this weekend and I think we'll spend more than $350 in gas alone! It might be the last time that happens for a while. I heard that gas might get to $12/gal by the end of the year. I pray not or I'm going to start riding my bike to work...well, maybe not! That'd be a little far. We'll have to use this blog to keep in touch, I guess.