Monday, December 27, 2010

Birth Story

There are so many things I would love to blog about right now (how we're doing, the first few days, how tired we are, how much life has changed, how much we love our little man, our Christmas, etc...) but, I know there won't be time to write about them all separately SO...

We're doing great...the first two nights were a little rough but Tristen slept SO great last night giving Aaron and I lots of sleep! Yay! We went to bed at 9:00 last night...I think that explains how much our life has changed :) We love our little man so much....I can't get my eyes off of him and find myself studying his little movements. WOW :) He's amazing and I'm so in love! Our Christmas was good but obviously very surreal :) We were able to reflect on how it might have been for Mary and Joseph....it was an incredibly special Christmas.

Anywho.....I'll try to keep this story short....

Dec. 22nd-
Because there were too many babies being born on Dec. 21st, our induction was postponed until Wednesday. We got to the hospital around 6:30am and I immediately got the induction medicine and got things going! The dr. broke my water around 10:00 and until that time, I was not in pain at all. I heard inductions could be brutal but it wasn't bad...until.....

The medicine really kicked in and the contractions got harder and closer together. I had planned on going without an epidural but I was very open to whatever because I just didn't know what to expect! Around 12:00, I was only at 3 cm so they upped the medicine and kept upping it until 2;00. Oh my goodness...for the next two hours I had contractions a minute apart and they just kept intensifying. I decided that if I had made progress I wouldn't do an epidural but if not, I was totally getting one :)

At 2:00, I was still at a 3 so I got the epidural and felt AMAZING :) Haha...it really was so fast and easy from then on out! At 3:00, my nurse told me to sleep for a while so I quickly fell asleep until 5:00. I had just called my parents to tell them that it would be a while when my nurse came in, checked, and told me I was at 10cm already and ready to push! What!?!?

The dr. came at 5:20, I pushed for 20 minutes and Tristen was born at 5:41pm :)


And, we were still smiling and just LOVING on our little boy. I couldn't believe how great I felt afterwards. Seriously, I was expecting the worst so we were surprised when the actual experience was wonderful, fast, and pretty painless.

Because I was fully awake and not too tired from contractions/pushing, I was able to completely ENJOY the first few hours of his life. It was incredibly special just to love on him and take in everything. I am so SO thankful for an easy labor and delivery! And, I just loved my nurses....they were wonderful!

So, there you have it....I feel so blessed (and a little bad for not having to endure through too much!)! Happy Monday all! I almost have a week old child already! I can't believe it!! We'll see when I have time to blog again :)

7 comments:

jenny said...

I'm so happy for you TOO that you had a great labor. Summer's was wonderful as well and I just see now how some people can enjoy it! :-)

I totally thought you weren't able to get an epidural (why did I think that??) and so I'm happy you got to experience the joys of those as well... :-) I'm a big fan.

One more question: why were you induced? Wasn't this around your due date? Was it b/c of the time of year? My OB asked me multiple times if I wanted to be induced so that she wouldn't be born on Christmas... just curious.

Anonymous said...

How wonderdul that everything went so well. It still doesn't see possible to me, but seeing the hospital pictures helped make it more real. Seems like we talked about you have children so much and now it has happened. Now you can start using that book we wrote at Head Start ha. Wishing you all God's richest blessings. Larry and Sandy

Erika said...

Jenny, you are right! I didn't think I was able to have an epidural with my insurance but we have some supplement insurance that we JUST got so 2 weeks ago I found out that I would be able to have one if I wanted one. SO glad I got it! It really was a lifesaver!! (I totally started writing this blog post just about epidurals and how I was SO glad I ended up being able to get one but it got too long! But, definitely getting an epidural next time around again :)

Oh, and I think because I kept commenting to my doctor that I didn't want to have the baby on Christmas, he suggested that we try to have him before Christmas :) Huh, I wonder if it's a pretty common thing this time of year!

Sandy, I'm totally starting to write down all the things I learned through Head Start! I can't forget it! :)

Rachel said...

Beautiful story Erika and beautiful boy!! I'm so happy for you and Aaron! love his name!!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you had such a great experience!! What a blessing! I'm hoping and praying for a faster and easier labor this time around ;)

Lindsey said...

Wow, Erika, what a great story!! Praise the Lord that is was a good experience for you! It's funny how things don't always turn out the way we plan them, but we can be rest assured that HIS way is the best way! So glad everyone is healthy and happy and that sweet little Tristen is here to celebrate the new year with you!! :-)

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

YAY ERIKA!!! So exciting! I haven't read any blogs for a while, so now I have SO MUCH to catch up on...but i thought of you a lot over the last week and a half or so, and am SO GLAD that everything went well! WAHOO!